Pages

Sunday 17 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Week 2 Murcia Cathedral

Image result for Murcia Cathedral
The Murcia Cathedral can be found in Plaza del Cardenal Belluga, 1, 30001 Murcia, Spain. There is twenty-five bells in the Murcia Cathedral these are some of their names. The Bell of the Spells, La Catalana, The Bell of Prayer,La Fuensanta, The Conception, La Seguidilla, The greater or Agueda-Martillo which is the main bell.

When the Christian king Jaime I the Conqueror conquered the city, in spite of the existing pact with the Muslims of the city that prevented destroying any mosque, the king Jaime I took the Great Mosque or Aljamía to consecrate it to the Virgin Mary, since he had the custom to offer a mass to Our Lady whenever he conquered a village. The cimentation of the cathedral begun in the 13th century, in the same place where the great mosque stood. In 1385 the laying of foundations began and in 1388 the first stone was laid. But it was not until 1394 that the construction began, which would be finished in October 1467. Nevertheless, the cathedral continued to grow until the 18th century, which means that the cathedral is made of a variety of artistic styles.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Makaea,

    I'm Jade C and I will be reading and commenting on your blog this summer.

    Today is the official start day of the Summer Learning Journey programme! It's super great to see your first S.L.J blog post!

    First of all, the whole SLJ team are stunned by your enthusiasm toward this programme!
    I can tell that you are enjoying these learning activities! I can see that you have been doing the week 2 activities, do you it more interesting than the week 1 activities? Let me know! :) I do hope to read your blog posts based the Week 1 activities later!

    On the first activity, it gives detailed information about St Joseph's Cathedral, reading about this made me excited because I could link it to my own experience of my own visit to that cathedral! It was enormous and very authentic. It was surrounded by lots of different colourful artworks of Saints, Mary, and Jesus. Have you ever visited an old cathedral or an old church that was built in the late 1800s or the early 1900s?

    I can't wait to read and comment your next blog post! :)

    All the best!

    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.