Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week Two: A Call to Arms

Lloyd Trigg is the only serviceman to have been awarded the VC on the ‘recommendation’ of an enemy. Despite being hit repeatedly by anti-aircraft fire, Trigg pressed home his attack and fatally damaged the German submarine with depth charges.His crippled Liberator then crashed into the sea with the loss of all eight crew. German survivors praised Trigg’s courage after they were picked up by an Allied ship. Their evidence was instrumental in the New Zealander being awarded a posthumous VC.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Makaea,

    Thank you for sharing information about Lloyd Trigg. Your description of him makes him seem like one of the bravest and courageous person in the world - and he sure was!

    I used to belong in Upham house when I was in Macleans College. Upham house was named after Charles Upham, a New Zealand soldier who earned the Victoria Cross twice during the Second World War. I've read and heard a lot about him and his stories in the war. He was also very brave, smart, and courageous. He was considered as a legend of WW2.

    Do you know any other soldiers who had received the VC? Do you have any family members who were involved in the war?

    I'm looking forward to reading your other blog posts!

    All the best,

    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.