Pages

Monday 1 March 2021

10 Social Studies - Parihaka


Parihaka


On the 5 of November 1881 crown troops stormed the Taranaki settlement of Parihaka. They took the men to prison without trial, rape and molested the leftover women and children. Parihaka was a peaceful protest lead by Te Whiti o Rongomai and Tohu Kākahi.


People even to this day are affected by what happened at Parihaka. Only recently the government and the crown apologized for what happened at Parihaka.


In the song ‘Parihaka’ by Tim Finn & the Herbs they speak about Parihaka, its effects on the people and how we will remember what happened at Parihaka.



1 comment:

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.