Pages

Monday 17 February 2020

Hurumanu 3 - Solubility Experiment

Solubility Experiment 

Aim: To see if Salt or Baking Soda dissolves more in water.

Hypothesis: I think that Baking Soda will dissolve more than Salt.

Equipment: A 250 mL beaker, 100 mL measuring cylinder, salt, baking soda, a stirring rod, a teaspoon and a ruler.

Method:
1. Fill the beaker with 100 mL of tap water.
2. Add a level teaspoon of baking soda. (A level teaspoon is obtained by running your ruler across the teaspoon).
3. Stir the solution until all of the baking soda has dissolved.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 until no more baking soda will dissolve into the solution.
5. Record how many teaspoons of baking soda were added.
6. Repeat the experiment, with the table salt.

Results: 

SoluteNumber of teaspoons that dissolve in 80 ml of water
Baking soda3
Salt3

Discussion: This experiment involved dissolving baking soda and salt in water. We pour 1 tea spoon at a time into the water to see how many teaspoons it took until it stopped dissolving.

Conclusion: I thought that salt would dissolve more than baking soda. But my hypothesis was incorrect but the overall experiment was a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.