Pages

Tuesday 15 May 2018

Water Rocket



Aerodynamics

Aim: To investigate the best design features for your water rocket.

Section 1: What is a water rocket? 
At its simplest, a water rocket is basically an upside down fizzy drinks bottle, which has had a ‘nose’ cone and some fins added. 

The nose cone 
The job of the nose cone is to make the rather snub-nosed end of the fizzy drinks bottle more aerodynamic. Also if you have ‘payload’ on your rocket, or a parachute mechanism, this is probably where it will be placed. 

The fins 
Others might disagree, but I think the fins are the parts of a rocket that really give a rocket its character. Technically, the fins are important for ensuring that the rocket flies smoothly Once we have added the fins and the nose cone, we have something which looks like a rocket. But how do we make it go like a rocket? First we need to add some water, and some kind of release mechanism, that will keep the water in the bottle, until we choose to release it. The water will then leave the bottle through its nozzle. Typically the bottle will be between about one quarter and one third filled with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.