Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2018

Flight - Ariodynamics

Aim: To look at the 4 main forces of flying and how these can be overcome.


Hypothesis: I think that.......

Method: Working in pairs you are going to make a paper wing and experiment with it.

  1. Make a paper wing out of A4 paper 
  2. On the field you will need to record and observe how 5 different changes affect the way it flies.


Plane type
How does it behave?
Time ( secs)
Paper sheet, drop
It drops to the ground

2.15
Paper with fold down middle, drop
It turns before falling to the ground

1.59
Paper with fold and 1 paper clip, drop
Went down nose first.
2.00
Fold, 2 clips, rudder, drop
Glided then went nose first to the ground.

1.99
Fold, 2 clips, rudder throw
Glided then landed slowly.

2.18



Findings:
Without the fold in the paper went down slowly. With the fold it went down but not faster. With the clip it made it front heavy. With the 2 clips the plane stayed balance.  It glided and but it was a bit fast. The rubber throw made the plane fly better. It glided and landed nicely.




Conclusion:
To make the plane fly better is to push it. Then to make it heavy so it would land nicely. Over all the plane was really good.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.